Special Subjects Credential
This credential is designed for those interested in teaching a specific subject in which they have experience, education and the appropriate license, if needed. The program provides the theory needed for teaching and learning while incorporating a variety of effective teaching strategies and behaviors.
Degree ProgramDesignated Subjects Education (DSE) Program
This credential prepares candidates to teach the designated specific subject in grades 12 and below and in classes organized primarily for adults.
- Five years experience or education in the subject area (with recency requirement)
- Appropriate license or recommendation from appropriate agency
- High school graduation (or equivalent)
- Fulfillment of the U.S. Constitution requirement
- Fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice
- CTC Application Form 41-4
- Processing fees
- DSE program admissions application
- Advisement regarding requirements for clear credential
- Recommendation by DSE program sponsor authorized signatory
Candidates for this credential are required to take nine units of the career technical education / vocational education 300 series or nine units of the career technical education 400 series. Courses must be completed within the first two years of credential issuance.
|Recommended 300 Series Courses|
|DSE 311||Computer Technology in the Classroom||1 unit|
|DSE 315||Curriculum Development||2 units|
|DSE 320||Evaluation||2 units|
|DSE 330||Learning & Instruction||2 units|
|DSE 350||Foundations of Vocational Education||1 unit|
|DSE 360||Special Needs||1 unit|
|Recommended 400 Series Courses|
|DSE 400||Early Orientation for DS Teachers||2 units|
|DSE 405||Educational Technology||1 unit|
|DSE 410||Foundations of Career Technical Education||1 unit|
|DSE 415||Curriculum Development||3 units|
|DSE 420||Special Needs||2 units|
View the course schedule.