Reading Specialist Credential
We are currently not accepting applications for this program.
This credential offers a rich blend of current theory and is designed to build leaders in the field of literacy instruction K-12. By focusing on a meaning-centered approach to reading/writing instruction, candidates are prepared through a rich set of learning experiences to support a wide range of student needs.
Degree ProgramReading / Language Arts Program
Graduates earning this credential are prepared to develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive reading programs that address common issues in language and literacy.
- Evening classes
- Small class sizes
- Interactive format
- Practical application of concepts studied
- Highly qualified instructors with both practical and theoretical knowledge
- Application form and fee
- Orientation interview (meet with program director for education plan)
- Statement of Intent (1-2 pages explaining your goals)
- Three references (see form below)
- Writing sample (copy of a recent paper you have submitted for a class or read an article related to your program of interest and give an analysis of it)
- Basic credential
- Official transcript of BA/BS degree
- Letter of explanation if your GPA is under 2.75
Total Units: 30
The reading certificate meets a portion of the requirements of the specialist credential.
In addition to course requirements, candidates for the reading specialist credential must demonstrate content proficiency by passing an exit interview at the end of the program.