We are currently not accepting applications for this program.
The reading certificate is issued by the state of California and demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of language/literacy development. The program offers a rich blend of current theory and practice. Classes are interactive in nature and are taught by highly qualified instructors who have outstanding experience as classroom teachers and who emphasize practical application of concepts.
Degree ProgramReading / Language Arts Program
While this certificate is designed to benefit reading/language instructors and those who seek the position of literacy coach, it is also useful to any educator and school administrator who deals with emerging and recurring issues in literacy. Teachers who have three years teaching experience and have successfully completed requirements for the reading certificate may serve as a reading specialist in up to two school sites.
- May be earned simultaneously with the master's degree
- Evening classes
- Small class sizes
- Interactive format
- Practical application of concepts studied
- Application form and fee
- Orientation interview (meet with program director for education plan)
- Statement of Intent (1-2 pages explaining your goals)
- Three references (see form below)
- Writing sample (copy of a recent paper you have submitted for a class or read an article related to your program of interest and give an analysis of it)
- Basic credential
- Official transcript of BA/BS degree
- Letter of explanation if your GPA is under 2.75
Total Units: 16
All courses for the reading certificate can be applied to the master's degree, and the reading certificate also meets a portion of the requirements of the specialist credential. Candidates who do not wish to have certification can pursue only the master's degree.
In addition to course requirements, candidates for the reading certificate must demonstrate content proficiency by passing an exit interview at the end of the program.