Master of Arts in Integrated Mathematics & Science Education
This program is undergoing restructuring. We look forward to introducing a new Master of Arts in STEM Education with expected launch date of January 2015, for students who are interested in:
- Teaching these core subjects in an integrated fashion
- Working with active education researchers in this field through the AIMS Center for Math and Science Education
- Deepening their understanding of these critical subject areas
This program will better equip you to further your studies as a professional teacher/researcher, open doors to higher educational opportunities, and take on leadership roles in your local area.
For more information on this exciting new opportunity, please contact Chris Brownell at email@example.com or call 559-453-2046.
FPU’s Master of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education prepares you as a K–8 teacher to better meet the needs of your students in these critical areas. You’ll be exposed to a wide variety of content, theory and methodology focusing on integrating math and science with each other and with the other STEM disciplines. FPU’s unique courses in engineering in the classroom will prepare you to teach the core concepts involved with the problems engineers face daily, as well as meeting the broad goals of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
•Prescribed program following a cohort model
•Opportunities for supported and individually-driven research with the AIMS Center for Math and Science Education at FPU
•Small class sizes
•Scholarships available for those who qualify
•Specially designed for K-8 teachers
As a graduate you will be prepared to enter resource positions in schools and districts, go on to further study and research opportunities, understand the goals and methods of integrating these four subjects in the classroom, and become a leader in your district.
The following courses are part of this program. Please speak with an admissions counselor for specific course information.
- Foundations of Learning Theory
- Values in School & Society
- Project/ Thesis Proposal- Integrated Mathematics/Science Education
- Project/Thesis - Integrated Math and Science
- Integration of Mathematics and Science: Science Connections
- Integration of Mathematics and Science: Math Connections
- Topics in Math Education
- Topics in Science Education
- Earth Science Concepts
- Physical Science Concepts
- Life Science Concepts
- Puzzles and Problem Solving
- Math Perspectives
- Arithmetic of Rational Number Systems
- Informal Geometry
- Concepts of Algebra
- Probability and Statistics (Middle School Emphasis)
- Topics in Mathematics
When can I start?
- Application form and fee
- Orientation interview (meet with program director for education plan)
- Statement of Intent (1-2 pages explaining your goals)
- Three references (see form below)
- Official transcripta verfifying BA/BS degree
- Letter of explanation if your GPA is under 2.75
Total Units: 30
Another program which includes mathematics is the Master of Arts in Mathematics Education. This program is designed to ignite and sustain excitement about mathematics and learning.
Program information and tuition subject to change.