Master of Arts in Education: Reading/Language Arts Emphasis
The master of arts in education with an emphasis in reading/language arts prepares teachers at all grade levels to be leaders in the field of literacy instruction. Coursework examines the reading/writing process, second language acquisition, literacy assessment techniques and the use of literature in the classroom.
Degree ProgramReading / Language Arts Program
The reading/language arts emphasis is designed for graduates who wish to teach reading at elementary or secondary grade levels.
- Evening classes
- Small class sizes
- Visiting scholar seminars provide opportunities for an exchange of ideas and information
- Interactive format
- Practical application of concepts studied
- Highly qualified instructors with both practical and theoretical knowledge
- Application form and fee
- Orientation interview (meet with program director for education plan)
- Statement of Intent (1-2 pages explaining your goals)
- Three references (see form below)
- Writing sample (copy of recent paper you have submitted for a class or read an article related to your program of interest and give an analysis of it)
- Official transcript of BA/BS degree
- Letter of explanation if your GPA is under 2.75
Total Units: 38
All courses for the reading certificate can be applied to the master's degree, but candidates who do not wish to have certification can pursue only the master's degree.